Staying healthy might seem like a lot of work, especially when it seems like it consists of dos, don’ts and a lot of deprivation. But staying healthy is not about the one-time big actions you take but the baby steps you consistently take every day. To make staying healthy in 2018 easier, read through a list of broken down tips you should use.
How To Care For Your Eyes
Sight is precious, and 20/20 vision is the best even up to old age, how do you achieve this you say, here are a few guidelines for having healthy eyes.
- Check for diabetes and high blood pressure, these two conditions if unchecked and not properly managed can lead to macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy.
- Find out if you are at higher risk for eye disease, that is, know your family history, many common eye conditions are genetic.
- Protect your eyes from harmful UV lights, by wearing sunglasses or wide brim hats when the sun rays are at its peak usually between 10 am and 2 pm.
- Eat fruits and vegetables rich in Vitamin A and Retinol like Apples and Carrots.
- Finally get your eyes checked if you feel any abnormality or discomfort, e.g intense itching of the eye, a sense of objects floating in your eye, or blurriness in your vision.
How To Take Care Of Your Brain
The brain like every other organ in the body needs to be taken care of in order to prevent dementia. Good mental exercise has been shown to help keep the brain functioning maximally well to old age; you don't have to take my word for it, you can ask Warren Buffet. Here are a few tips to having a healthier brain in 2018.
- Read for at least 30 minutes on a daily basis, it could be a chapter of a book, a blog post, Newspaper etc. Reading helps the brain process information faster and keep its engine oiled.
- Protect your head, head injuries can lead to permanent brain damage and consistently having seizures. Use helmets when necessary, when things go wrong, you will be glad you did.
- Learn a new skill once in a while, even something as simple as basket weaving can do a lot for your mental capacity.
- Exercise regularly, this helps to relax your body making you able to think better.
- Play strategy games e.g board games such as chess, scramble draft etc.
How Care For Your Heart
Your heart keeps you alive by pumping blood through your body every single moment of the day. It needs some tender loving care too. And here are some tips for a healthier heart.
- Practice good dental hygiene, studies have shown that the bacteria that causes periodontal gum disease can move into the blood and lead to inflammation in the blood vessels and the heart. These changes, in turn, increase your risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Avoid being a couch potato, whether, at home or work, sedentary lifestyle affects the heart negatively. Step outside, take a walk, don't sit in one spot for too long.
- Avoid smoking, even second-hand smoke, as your life depends on it, being exposed to second-hand smoke consistently is as good as smoking and weakens the blood vessels thus reducing its pumping action.
- Cut down on alcohol, salt intake, fast foods, try to maintain a healthy weight
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes per day, multiple times during the week.
- Get enough sleep, sleep and rest are very important for the heart.
How To Care For Your Skin
Weather changes make the skin more vulnerable to skin cancer and other skin conditions due to exposure to harmful amounts of UV rays. Beautiful and healthy-looking skin can be achieved without using harmful cosmetics products. Here are a few tips for fresh looking skin that won't put a hole in your pocket.
- Use Sunscreen to protect your skin from harmful effects of UV rays from the sun which is usually at its hottest between 10 am and 2 pm. Like your eyes, those rays are too harsh for your skin and could lead to skin damage.
- Get some Vitamin D into your skin, unless you are a vampire some morning sun will do your skin some good.
- Consult a dermatologist, before using any skin care product to ensure you use only skin products that are good for your skin type.
- Exercise a lot, this helps blood circulation around your body thus giving you a healthy glow.
- Drink at least 3-5 litres of water per day to keep your skin well hydrated.
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables, antioxidants are essential for achieving a healthier looking skin.
How To Care For Your Bones
Your bones give support and structure to your body, your bones need care in order to reduce age-related bone diseases such as osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. Here are a few tips for healthier bones.
- Eat calcium-rich foods e.g milk, spinach, yogurt etc.
- Add vitamin D to your day, expose yourself to early morning sunlight in order to get enough vitamin D. Vitamin D is needed for the absorption of calcium, most adults need about 2,000 IU of vitamin D daily.
- Don't smoke and don’t drink excessively, these predispose you to osteoporosis later in life.
- Get your bone mineral density tested to prevent osteoporosis. Especially for women after menopause begins.
How To Care For Your Mind
Your mind is one of your most precious possession. Without it, you cannot function well physically, emotionally and mentally. The mind though unseen and untouchable if neglected can lead to mental illness, psychosomatic disorders etc. A healthy mind will help you achieve your goals more effectively, help you live a happier and more fulfilling life, here are a couple of guidelines to having a healthier mind.
- Avoid checking your phone during the first hour of the day, this may sound unrealistic as most of us live inside our phones, when we wake up we want to check our messages, see if anyone retweeted our tweet, followed us or liked our picture on Instagram. This urge has been likened to drug addiction. Use the first few minutes of your day to reflect and meditate then set out to some productivity tasks. Being productive in the very first hour of the day helps your mind relax and puts you in a good mood.
- Build meaningful relationships, having a support system is very important for your mental health and that is not built overnight, it comes from communicating with actual real people and being involved in their lives.
- Talk and communicate effectively. If you feel stressed or frustrated, talk to someone. This helps to relieve your mind of some burdens.
- Keep your mind sharp by reading books that help broaden your thinking.
- Exercise, practice yoga, take a dance class, these help you to release pent-up energy or frustration and relaxes your mind and body.
- Worry less about things that are beyond your control, fear and anxiety can cripple the functioning capacity of the mind.
- Get enough sleep and slow down the hustle. Working smart pays more than working hard. Not every business or career path is for you, self-awareness leads to a healthier mind.
- Worry less about the things you have no control over.
Above all the greatest trick to being healthier in 2018 is to adjust your mind and environment to support your health goals. Don't leave alcohol lying around in the house if you plan to stop drinking. Stuff your kitchen cabinets with healthy foods and fruits. Spend more time with people who are living the kind of healthy lifestyle you want to adopt. Be willing to help others make healthier choices.
Do have a wonderful year. Cheers to a healthier 2018